Main page content
Business Development Bank of Canada (BDC)
- Endorsement date: December 18, 2020
- Organization: Business Development Bank of Canada (BDC)
The Business Development Bank of Canada (BDC) is a financially sustainable Crown Corporation that operates at arm’s length from our sole shareholder, the Government of Canada. Since 1944, our mandated is to support Canadian entrepreneurs in all industries and at all stages of development and compliment private sector financial institutions.
BDC supports Canadian SMEs via financing, investing and advisory services. BDC has a role to play in the SMR ecosystem by supporting both upstream and downstream commercially viable supply chain companies and directly supporting SMR companies and projects once they pass the demonstration phase and are ready to commercialize.
Specific to SMR’s, BDC supports Canadian Cleantech companies that are looking to commercialize and scale a technology that has significant positive environmental impact and can be economical viable. This includes financing all types of alternative energy sources. Via commercial debt and or equity support, BDC is looking to invest in companies that has the following criteria:
- Canadian companies with strong IP
- technology that is commercially demonstrated (via purchase orders, revenues, etc.)
- can scale via multiple projects, including exports
- has private sector support via investment, contracts or other
- strong management
DEMONSTRATION AND DEPLOYMENT
Strategic Partnership and Business Models
STATUS: IN PROGRESS
Responds to SMR Roadmap recommendation(s): 46
- track and assist Canadian SMR companies on their path to commercialization. BDC to remain actively engaged with the sector and strategy as it moves along path of commercialization.
- finance/Invest in SMP supply chain companies to ensure a healthy ecosystem
- participate in the financing syndication of any private sector
- finance/Invest in commercially viable SMR supply chain companies and SMR companies/projects. Look to help draw in private sector leverage on projects
- better understanding of timeline, financial needs of the sector and other potential private and public sources of capital, funding or support.