Main page content
Canadian Association of Nuclear Host Communities (CANHC)
- Endorsement date: December 18, 2020
- Organization: Canadian Association of Nuclear Host Communities (CANHC)
The Canadian Association of Nuclear Host Communities ( CANHC) is a not-for-profit association that has been established to provide a forum through which communities who have nuclear related operations within their municipal boundaries can discuss issues and concerns of mutual interest.
Our CANHC members include:
Leveraging the Power of the Canadian Nuclear Sector in the Development of SMR Technology
Canada has one of the strongest nuclear sectors in the entire world, built on a word-class regulatory system, with a highy educated and trained workforce, capable of delivering safe and reliable SMR technology. This development will also further support the clean energy initiatives in the battle against climate change, as well as bring energy and connectivity to our remote communities across the country.
Our Commitment to SMRs and associated technologies
As SMR technology develops, we believe that potential host communities must be appropriately consulted throughout the entire process. At our recent strategic planning session, it became clear that our members from across the country see the opportunity SMR technology can bring. There will also be questions that may arise, that we are positioned to help at addressing. Things such as:
- What will the public and community safety protocols be?
- How can the economic development opportunities be capitalized on to ensure community benefit?
- What will be done with the nuclear waste?
What is clear from this list, which is not exhaustive, is that the number of host community touchpoints is robust. It is imperative that we have a seat at the table and have an impactful voice as policy is shaped in order to effectively build and integrate this new technology into our communities.
We believe there is great potential for SMR technology and are excited for what can come of it. CANHC is committed to doing their part to support the development and eventual deployment of this technology.
CANHC has committed to do the following:
- Support NWMO in their efforts to create a safe and sustainable nuclear waste solution
- Host meetings with potential SMR host communities to share our nuclear stories and work with them to shape local and national public policy
- Participate in any associated CNSC hearings
Chair, Canadian Association of Nuclear Host Communities